In September 2012, we were approached by Espoon yhteislyseo Upper Secondary School in Finland to partner with them as they ran a Global Citizenship Course learning about third world countries. Our students were asked to write articles about Zimbabwe, our culture, food, music, schooling etc. The Finnish students also shared information on Finland etc. It was a wonderful experience and our Lower Sixth Students thoroughly enjoyed getting to know a bit about another country and culture. Mark and I even hosted a Finnish evening at our house where we cooked Finnish food and sang the national anthem!
Can’t see the video? Watch it here.
Here are a few of the articles our students wrote:
- Being a Teenager in Zimbabwe – Nyasha
- 10 Best Sights in Zimbabwe – Lisa
- Want to learn a little bit of Shona – Pamela – and the rest of the gang!
- Religion and Rituals – by Tinotenda
- Wierd facts about Zimbabwe – by Blessing
- Traditions and Facts about the People of Zimbabwe – by Taringana
- Zimbabwean Music – by ?
- A Taste of Zimbabwe!! – by ?
At the end of the course the Finnish students ran a fundraiser for us and we felt so humbled by all the money that they raised through this event.